Wednesday, July 21, 2010

VirtuaWin + DisplayFusion + TaskSwitch = Noticeable Increase in Productivity on Windows!!

I have been switching between Windows and Linux through my Bachelors, Internships, Jobs and Grad school. So, the switch is not that painful but I dearly miss certain features of Windows in Linux and vice-versa. One of the features in Linux that is lacking in Windows by default is handling multiple desktops. Support for multiple displays on the other hand is much easier in Windows compared to Linux ( though its getting better in Linux).

For my recent internship I am working on windows. I am working on multiple projects and coding on multiple platforms like Matlab/.Net and also using cloud computing for computationally intensive processes. So, managing all this has been an overhead and ate into my productive time. I found three cool softwares which I put forth in the subject of this post for people who do not have time to go through the post. The links to the respective webpages are:

Virtuawin --  Gives you the much needed multiple desktops functionality.
DisplayFusion -- Allows you to seamlessly switch between displays and move tasks from one display to another.
Taskswitchxp -- Shows graphical views of the windows when you switch between them.

After taking the pain of finding them and configuring the shortcuts for all three I am thoroughly enjoying my multiple display, multiple desktop and keyboard controlled task switching!!  I multi task very effectively and without losing much concentration. I hope others try the combination and find it as useful!

Send me a message to know the most effective shortcuts, I will be glad to share them. Happy working!!

3 comments:

Calnix said...

Hi could I please have your configuration for this set up? My email is calnix.raja@gmail.com, should you prefer to email. Thank you for your help!

freecrackapp said...

Such a Nice post. Thanks for Awesome tips Keep it up
displayfusion-crack

Crack Software said...

Your style is so unique compared to other people I have read stuff from. Many thanks forposting when you have the opportunity, Guess I will just bookmark this site DisplayFusion